Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook

Today during lunch I decided to read my most recent issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine. As I happened upon the cooking/recipe section, I noticed an article called “Mad for Plaid.” This article featured 4 different women and discussed how their Better Homes and Garden cookbook had been and continues to be influential in their lives. This made me think back to when I was a child and all the time spent in the kitchen “helping” my mom cook & bake. One memory that I recall was one afternoon I decided that I wanted to make Chocolate Chip cookies all by myself. So my mom opened her tattered and worn BHG Red Plaid Cookbook to the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and let me have at it. What happened next was not pretty. I proceeded to measure and dump all the ingredients at once, including the flour and the chocolate chips, into the bowl of my mom’s KitchenAid mixer and then turn it on. You can only imagine the most horrifying sound that came from the mixer as it tried to whirl to life and the mess that it created as the flour burst into the air. My mom was less than thrilled with me and proceeded to spend the next hour or so working through those ingredients. The cookies turned out great but my lesson learned was, “Always read the entire recipe before you begin dumping everything in at once.” I still make those Chocolate Chip Cookies and my Red Plaid BHG Cookbook is the one cookbook that I go to when I am looking for a specific recipe or when I need How-to guidance for a new cooking adventure. Cooking & baking is my therapy and I am so glad that I have an awesome cookbook to refer to as needed.



Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment