Since this seems to be something that will stick with us, I would like to share one recipe a week that we found we absolutely loved! This week the highlighted recipe is one that I made for dinner last night, Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken. The recipe originated from my Weight Watchers cookbook but I deviated it from it a bit (which kinda canceled out the weight watchers points), which happens most of the time! I have found that unless I am baking a cake or cookies, I hate to measure! I also like to add my own personal touches! So here is the recipe… I do apologize for not including a picture. The bird looked delicious but I forgot to take the picture and I didn't remember until after we had devoured half the chicken!
Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken
1 5lb Chicken
1 Lemon, halved
1 Yellow Onion, quartered
Dry Rosemary
Dry Thyme
Garlic Powder
1 16oz can Chicken Broth
1 cup Lemon Juice
Salt & Pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove the chicken giblets and neck from body cavity (if there are any); refrigerate or freeze for another use (I don’t use this stuff!). Rinse chicken, inside and out and pat dry with a paper towel.
Season the inside of the chicken with the Rosemary, Thyme, & Garlic Powder, to taste. Place half the lemon in the body cavity, then add a quarter of the onion, finish with the other half of lemon. Then add a couple shakes more of the Rosemary, Thyme, & Garlic. Place the chicken, breast-side up, on the rack in the roasting pan. Season the top of the chicken with salt and pepper. Place in the oven, uncovered and roast for 30 minutes; pour some of the broth and lemon juice over the chicken.
Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F. Roast, basting frequently with the chicken broth and the lemon juice, until cooked through and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced in the thickest part with a fork, about 90 minutes longer. A meat thermometer should read 180 degrees when done. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board; let stand 15 minutes. Carve & Enjoy!!
This recipe received 5 Stars from Stephan. I served it with a side salad and ranch dressing. He absolutely loved it! What is great about roasting a chicken is that the leftovers can be used for Chicken Salad, Chicken Casserole, or even Chicken Enchiladas! Mmmm Yum! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. Let me know if you decide to try it out!
Love,
That's almost like my citrus herb roasted chicken that I've told you about!! I LOVE that recipe, as does my family! Isn't it wonderful?! Congrats on the meal planning!!
ReplyDeleteIt is! I thought of you while I was making it and wondered how close it was to your recipe! omg, the skin was to die for! Ill definitely be making it again!
ReplyDelete